From Jeremy Hanna <jeremy.hanna1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra startup port problem, apache-cassandra-0.7.3 on Snow Leopard.
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2011 02:15:58 GMT
Comments in-line.

On Mar 10, 2011, at 8:10 PM, Bob Futrelle wrote:

> After a reboot, cassandra spits out many lines on startup but then appears to stall.

> Worse, trying to run cassandra a second time stops immediately because of a port problem:
>
> apache-cassandra-0.7.3: sudo ./bin/cassandra -f -p pidfile
> Password:
> Error: Exception thrown by the agent : java.rmi.server.ExportException: Port already
in use: 8080; nested exception is:
> 	java.net.BindException: Address already in use

Do you have tomcat or something installed that is starting on port 8080?  Cassandra uses it
as the default JMX port for monitoring.

> I have seen some discussions of the problem but have not found a solution.
>

> ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS:
>
> I neve explicitly installed Thrift. Should I?

No - you shouldn't need this.

> How do I know that cassandra.in.sh is being used?
> Assuming it is, can I change the port in that file?
> If so, how?
>
> Do any of these variables need to be set?
>
> CASSANDRA_HOME
> CASSANDRA_CONF
>
> and is this necessary?
>
> for jar in $CASSANDRA_HOME/lib/*.jar; do
>     CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:$jar
> done

For normal use you don't need to change any of those settings.

> Java:
>
> I noticed that
> $JAVA_HOME = /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home

In my .profile on my mac, I just do

export JAVA_HOME=$(/usr/libexec/java_home)

that sets it to the current JVM, which should be 1.6.0_24.