From David Hawthorne <>
Subject client connection timeouts vs. thrift timeouts
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2011 19:16:58 GMT
I've been scratching my head on this one for a day now and I'm hoping someone can help clear
it up.

The initial question was: does it make sense to have a configurable connection timeout (for
a client connecting to a cassandra server) separate from the thrift socket timeout (which
governs *all* interactions)?

The context is that I've written a java middleware (using hector with connection pooling,
talking to a round-robin vip that will do healthchecking and will also need a connection timeout
configured) for a php frontend to talk to, which sits between cassandra and the frontend.
 I'd like to let the frontend know that the cassandra service is down fairly quickly so it
can move on to other logic sooner rather than later, and I don't want it to have to wait however
long I've set the thrift socket timeout to be.  The feedback I got initially was that I would
run into problems with high load, and could run into delays when cassandra gets overwhelmed.

Does this make sense or am I just looking at this from the wrong angle?
View raw message