From Peter Schuller <peter.schul...@infidyne.com>
Subject Re: How to determine if repair need to be run
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2011 17:18:15 GMT
> Is there a way to monitor and tell if one of the node require repair? For eg:
> Node was down and came back up but in the meantime HH were dropped. Now
> unless we are really careful in all the scenarios we wouldn't have any
> problems :) but in general when things are going awry you might forget about
> running repair or other commands until there is a customer impact.
>
> Is there a way to monitor and alert on such things like repair?

You should always run repair as required by GCGraceSeconds, unless you
really really know what you're doing. So no, there is no 'needs
repair' state. See
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Operations#Frequency_of_nodetool_repair

(What *would* be useful perhaps is to be able to ask a node for the
time of its most recently started repair, to facilitate easier
comparison with GCGraceSeconds for monitoring purposes.)

--
/ Peter Schuller