From Shotaro Kamio <>
Subject HintedHandoff increases in read?
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2011 16:10:39 GMT

When I looking at "countPendingHints" in HintedHandoffManager via jmx,
I found that pending hints increases even when my cluster handles only
reads with quorum from clients.
The count decreases when I see it in long period (e.g., in an hour).
But it can increase in several thousands in short period (for
instance, in a few seconds. even in minutes some cases). My cluster
looks healthy at that time.
Is it normal behavior? I thought that hints are created only when data
are written and a node is down. Does it increase with read repair?
I'm waiting for finishing hinted handoff. But it takes long time.
I'm using cassandra 0.7.4.

Best regards,

View raw message