From A J <>
Subject EC2 - 2 regions
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2011 15:34:11 GMT

I am trying to setup a cassandra cluster across regions.
For testing I am keeping it simple and just having one node in US-EAST
(say and one node in US-WEST (say
Using Cassandra 0.7.4

The one in east region is the seed node and has the values as:
auto_bootstrap: false

The one in west region is non seed and has the values as:
auto_bootstrap: true

I first fire the seed node (east region instance) and it comes up
without issues.
When I fire the non-seed node (west region instance) it fails after
sometime with the error:

DEBUG 15:09:08,844 Created HHOM instance, registered MBean.
 INFO 15:09:08,844 Joining: getting load information
 INFO 15:09:08,845 Sleeping 90000 ms to wait for load information...
DEBUG 15:09:09,822 attempting to connect to
DEBUG 15:09:10,825 Disseminating load info ...
DEBUG 15:10:10,826 Disseminating load info ...
DEBUG 15:10:38,845 ... got load info
 INFO 15:10:38,845 Joining: getting bootstrap token
ERROR 15:10:38,847 Exception encountered during startup.
java.lang.RuntimeException: No other nodes seen!  Unable to bootstrap
        at org.apache.cassandra.dht.BootStrapper.getBootstrapSource(
        at org.apache.cassandra.dht.BootStrapper.getBalancedToken(
        at org.apache.cassandra.dht.BootStrapper.getBootstrapToken(
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.StorageService.joinTokenRing(
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.StorageService.initServer(
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.AbstractCassandraDaemon.setup(
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.AbstractCassandraDaemon.activate(
        at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.CassandraDaemon.main(

The seed node seems to somewhat acknowledge the non-seed node:
attempting to connect to /
attempting to connect to /

Can you suggest how can I fix it (I did see a few threads on similar
issue but did not really follow the chain)

Thanks, AJ

View raw message