From Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Replacing a dead seed
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2011 14:11:41 GMT
On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 9:09 AM, Jonathan Colby
<jonathan.colby@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi -
>
> If a seed crashes (i.e., suddenly unavailable due to HW problem),   what is the best
way to replace the seed in the cluster?

> I've read that you should not bootstrap a seed.  Therefore I came up with this procedure,
but it seems pretty complicated.  any better ideas?

> 1. update the seed list on all nodes, taking out the dead node  and restart the nodes
in the  cluster so the new seed list is updated
> 2. then bootstrap the new (replacement ) node as a normal node  (not yet as a seed)
> 3. when bootstrapping is done, make the new node a seed.
> 4. update the seed list again adding back the replacement seed (and rolling restart the
cluster as in step 1)

> That seems to me like a whole lot of work.  Surely there is a better way?
>
> Jon

It is true that Seeds do not auto bootstrap. But in this case it does
not matter if the other nodes believe this node is a seed. It only
matters what the joining node is configured to believe.

On the joining node do not include it's hostname/IP in the seed list
and it should auto-bootstrap normally.