From Roshan Dawrani <>
Subject Any way to get different unique time UUIDs for the same time value?
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2011 13:08:00 GMT

Is there any way I can get multiple unique time UUIDs for the same timestamp
value - I mean, the UUIDs that are same in their time (most significant
bits), but differ in their least significant bits?

The least significant bits added by *
me.prettyprint.cassandra.utils.TimeUUIDUtils* seem to be a *fixed* value
based on mac/ip address, which makes sure that I get the same UUID for a
timestamp value, everytime I ask.

I need the "(timestamp): <some value>" kind of columns that need to be
sorted by time, and I wanted to use TimeUUID to use column sorting that
comes out-of-the-box, but the problem is that I can get multiple values for
the same timestamp.

So, I am looking for some way where the time portion is same, but the other
UUID half is different so that I can safely store "1 time UUID: 1 value".

Any help there is appreciated.

Twitter: @roshandawrani <>
Skype: roshandawrani

View raw message