From Robert Coli <>
Subject Re: Secondary indices: Why low cardinality?
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2011 00:38:56 GMT
On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:43 PM, Kevin <> wrote:
> Can someone explain why low cardinality is advised for the secondary index?

The brief answer to your question is "because it is a local secondary index."

Has a pretty thorough discussion of why local secondary indexes were
chosen for the initial secondary index implementation.
" (quoting Stu Hood)
I think we agree that both approaches have their merits. The vast
difference between their best use cases needs to be considered as we
decide on a query API. In particular:

Local indexes are better for:

    * Low cardinality fields
    * Filtering of values in base order