From Robert Coli <rc...@digg.com>
Subject Re: moving data from single node cassandra
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2011 21:57:29 GMT
On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 4:42 PM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
> When compacting it will use the path with the greatest free space. When compaction completes
successfully the files will lose their temporary status and that will be their new home.

> On 18 Mar 2011, at 14:10, John Lewis wrote:
>
>> | data_file_directories makes it seem as though cassandra can use more than one location
for sstable storage. Does anyone know how it splits up the data between partitions? I am trying
to plan for just about every worst case scenario I can right now, and I want to know if I
can change the config to open up some secondary storage for a compaction if needed.

Standard disclaimer whenever anyone mentions using multi data_file_directories :

Multiple deploys have experienced lose as a result of this
configuration. No one, to my knowledge, has experienced win. You
probably don't want to use this feature for its primary effect, the
only time is when you need to work around some other issue.

=Rob