From ian douglas <...@armorgames.com>
Subject Re: Working backwards from production to staging/dev
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2011 16:59:20 GMT
Thanks, Jonathan!

Part of what we're trying to accomplish is a data cleanup. One of our
nodes seems to have some lingering data from an old column family that
we no longer have defined (we're running v0.60) so that node has a few
GB of data that never gets replicated. We're hoping that by bringing
that node offline, that we could flush out that old data so our nodes
appear more balanced in disk load.

We're also considering just moving our three 'medium' (32-bit) EC2
instances to a single extra-large (64-bit) instance to do what you've
suggested, but that would mean moving from a 32-bit platform to a 64-bit
platform. Is Cassandra 0.60 going to have problems if we migrate data to
a single 64-bit system and then back to several 32-bit systems? (we've
looked at replicating our PostgreSQL database, but the binary data files
are not compatible between 32-bit and 64-bit systems)

Thanks,
Ian