incubator-cassandra-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Paul Pak <p...@yellowseo.com>
Subject Re: Upgrade to a different version?
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2011 19:36:26 GMT
Sorry guys, that was meant to be private.  My opinion stands, but I
didn't want to hurt any of the dev's feelings by being too frank.  I
think the progress has been good in new features, but I feel we have
taken a step back in relability and scalability since so many features
were added without adequate testing.  Hopefully, at some point soon, it
will get better and doing a data import job won't take a cassandra
cluster to it's knees or we won't experience stop the world GC issues
and have out of memory errors from routine usage.

Paul

On 3/16/2011 2:13 PM, Paul Pak wrote:
> Hi Jake,
>
> I'm sending this privately, because I wanted to tell you my opinion frankly.
>
> I don't know about the .6 series or .74, but so far, all of the .7
> series of cassandra has been a disaster.  I would think twice about
> switching to anything in .7 series to production until things stabilize
> and at least one reasonably large site starts using cassandra .7. 
> Jonathan claims reddit is using cassandra, but it can't be a good
> experience with the type of bugs that have been found.
>
> .70 had data corruption issues
> .71 also had data corruption issues, had major issues with anything over
> 2 gigs in memory
> .72 issues with reading properly
> .73 had major issues with anything over 2 gigs in memory, had issues
> with performance due to flushing rules being broken, many people had
> huge issues with large amounts of insertions, and a few had startup issues.
> .74 too new to say.
>
> In either case, do a lot of testing for your use case before switching
> as things in the .7 series are still way in development.  I've talked to
> Jonathan about putting it into beta status because of the severity of
> the bugs, but so far, there has been no decision to do so.  Good luck.
>
> Paul
>
> On 3/16/2011 1:21 PM, Jake Maizel wrote:
>> We are running 0.6.6 and are considering upgrading to either 0.6.8 or
>> one of the 0.7.x releases.  What is the recommended version and
>> procedure?  What are the issues we face?  Are there any specific
>> storage gotchas we need to be aware of?  Are there any docs around
>> this process for review?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> jake
>>
>


Mime
View raw message