From Jonathan Colby <>
Subject Replacing a dead seed
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2011 13:09:13 GMT
Hi -

If a seed crashes (i.e., suddenly unavailable due to HW problem),   what is the best way to
replace the seed in the cluster?

I've read that you should not bootstrap a seed.  Therefore I came up with this procedure,
but it seems pretty complicated.  any better ideas?
1. update the seed list on all nodes, taking out the dead node  and restart the nodes in the
 cluster so the new seed list is updated
2. then bootstrap the new (replacement ) node as a normal node  (not yet as a seed)
3. when bootstrapping is done, make the new node a seed.
4. update the seed list again adding back the replacement seed (and rolling restart the cluster
as in step 1)

That seems to me like a whole lot of work.  Surely there is a better way?

View raw message