From Dan Washusen <...@reactive.org>
Subject OOM during compaction with half the heap still available?
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2011 01:52:03 GMT
Hey All,
I've noticed that the Cassandra instance I have running on our build machine occasionally
crashes with an OOM error during compaction. I'm going to dial down the memtable thresholds
etc but I was wondering if anyone could help explain the heap usage at the time of the crash.
I just happened to leave a JMX console window open and it's showing that just before the crash
roughly 50% of the heap was still available.

Screenshot of heap usage: http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2822/memoryf.png

The above screenshot was taken a few weeks ago on Cassandra 0.7.2 (I think) with nmap disabled
on Java 1.6.0_24-b07. I'm now running 0.7.4 with nmap enabled and just got the same crash
(based on the error message in the log)...

Log snippet from crash that matches screenshot: http://pastebin.com/ACa8fKUu
Log snippet from 0.7.4 crash: http://pastebin.com/SwSQawUM

Cheers,
--