From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Problem about freeing space after a major compaction
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2011 11:12:05 GMT
Cassandra will request a GC to free compacted SSTables if there is not sufficient space to
write an SSTable or perform a compaction.

Aaron

On 29 Mar 2011, at 02:15, Roberto Bentivoglio wrote:

> Thanks you again, we're going to update our enviroment.
>
> Regards,
> Roberto
>
> On 28 March 2011 17:08, Ching-Cheng Chen <cchen@evidentsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> AFAIK, setting gc_grace_period to 0 shouldn't cause this issue.   In fact, that what
I'm using now in a single node environment like yours.

> However, I'm using 0.7.2 with some patches.   If you are still using 0.7.0, most likely
you got hit with this bug.
> You might want to patch it or upgrade to latest release.

> Regards,
>
> Chen
> Senior Developer, EvidentSoftware(Leaders in Monitoring of NoSQL & JAVA )
> http://www.evidentsoftware.com
>
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Roberto Bentivoglio <roberto.bentivoglio@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi Chen,
> we've set the gc grace period of the column families to 0 as suggest in a single node
enviroment.
> Can this setting cause the problem? I don't think so...
>
> Thanks,
> Roberto
>
> On 28 March 2011 16:54, Ching-Cheng Chen <cchen@evidentsoftware.com> wrote:
> tombstones removal also depends on your gc grace period setting.
>
> If you are pretty sure that you have proper gc grace period set and still on 0.7.0, then
probably related to this bug.

> Regards,
>
> Chen
> Senior Developer, EvidentSoftware(Leaders in Monitoring of NoSQL & JAVA )
> http://www.evidentsoftware.com
>
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Roberto Bentivoglio <roberto.bentivoglio@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi all,
> we're working on a Cassandra 0.7.0 production enviroment with a store of data near to
500 GB.
> We need to periodically remove the tombstones from deleted/expired data performing a
major compaction operation through nodetool.
> After invoking the compaction on a single column family we can see from JConsole that
the LiveSSTableCount is going from 15 to 3 while the LiveDiskSpaceUsed is going from 90GB
to 50GB.
> The problem now is that the space on the file system is been taken from Cassandra (I
assumed from the old SSTable) and it isn't freed. We have tried to perform a full GC from
the JConsole as described in http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MemtableSSTable without any
success. The space is freed only after a database restart.