From Drew Kutcharian <d...@venarc.com>
Subject Questions about Secondary Indexes
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2011 01:12:44 GMT
Hi Everyone,

I just read Jonathan Ellis' great post on Secondary Indexes  (http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/whats-new-cassandra-07-secondary-indexes)
and I was wondering where I can find a bit more info on them. I would like to know:

1) Are there in limitations beside the hash properties (no between queries)? Like size or
memory, etc?

2) Are there distributed? If so, how does that work? How are there stored on the nodes?

3) When you write a new row, when/how does the index get updated? What I would like to know
is the atomicity of the operation, is the "index write" part of the "row write"?

4) Is there a difference between creating a secondary index vs creating an "index" CF manually
such as "users_by_country"?

Thanks,

Drew