From Daniel Doubleday <daniel.double...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Advice on mmap related swapping issue
Date Wed, 23 Mar 2011 10:13:37 GMT
FWIW: For whatever reason jna memlockall does not work for us. jna call is successful but cassandra
process swaps anyway.

see: http://www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg11235.html

We disabled swap entirely.

On Mar 22, 2011, at 8:56 PM, Chris Goffinet wrote:

> The easiest way to get memlock to work after putting the jna jar in your classpath is
just run this before:

> ulimit -a unlimited
>
> in your init script or before starting cassandra. The default for max locked memory is
32KB on older kernels, and 64KB on newer ones.

> -Chris
>
> On Mar 22, 2011, at 12:52 PM, Adi wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 3:44 PM, ruslan usifov <ruslan.usifov@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> 2011/3/22 Adi <adi.pandit@gmail.com>
>> I have been going through the mailing list and compiling suggestions to address the
swapping due to mmap issue.

>> 1) Use JNA (done but)
>> Are these steps also required:
>> - Start Cassandra with CAP_IPC_LOCK (or as "root"). (not done)
>>
>> And what is CAP_IPC_LOCK?
>>
>> I saw that suggestion in
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-1214.
>>
>> I do not yet know how to run cassandra or a java process with that privilege, still
researching and hoping my sysadmin knows better.