From aaron morton <>
Subject Re: Help on how to configure an off-site DR node.
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2011 10:56:32 GMT
Be aware that at RF 2 the Quorum is 2, so you cannot afford to lose a replica when working
at Quorum. 3 is really the starting point if you want some redundancy.

If you want to get your data offsite how about doing snapshots and moving them off site

The guide from Data Stax will give you a warm failover site, which sounds a bit more than
what you need.

Hope that helps.

On 28 Mar 2011, at 22:47, Brian Lycett wrote:

> Hello.
> I'm setting up a cluster that has three nodes in our production rack.
> My intention is to have a replication factor of two for this.
> For disaster recovery purposes, I need to have another node (or two?)
> off-site.
> The off-site node is entirely for the purpose of having an offsite
> backup of the data - no clients will connect to it.
> My question is, is it possible to configure Cassandra so that the
> offsite node will have a full copy of the data set?
> That is, somehow guarantee that a replica of all data will be written to
> it, but without having to resort to an ALL consistency level for writes?
> Although the offsite node will on a 20Mbit leased line, I'd rather not
> have the risk that the link goes down and breaks the cluster.
> I've seen this suggestion here:
> but that configuration is vulnerable to the link breaking, and uses four
> nodes in the offsite location.
> Regards,
> Brian

View raw message