From Brian Lycett <brian.lyc...@ratedpeople.com>
Subject Help on how to configure an off-site DR node.
Date Mon, 28 Mar 2011 11:47:13 GMT
Hello.

I'm setting up a cluster that has three nodes in our production rack.
My intention is to have a replication factor of two for this.
For disaster recovery purposes, I need to have another node (or two?)
off-site.

The off-site node is entirely for the purpose of having an offsite
backup of the data - no clients will connect to it.

My question is, is it possible to configure Cassandra so that the
offsite node will have a full copy of the data set?
That is, somehow guarantee that a replica of all data will be written to
it, but without having to resort to an ALL consistency level for writes?
Although the offsite node will on a 20Mbit leased line, I'd rather not
have the risk that the link goes down and breaks the cluster.

I've seen this suggestion here:
http://www.datastax.com/docs/0.7/operations/datacenter#disaster
but that configuration is vulnerable to the link breaking, and uses four
nodes in the offsite location.

Regards,

Brian