If your sessions are fairly long-lived (more like hours instead of minutes) and you crank up a suitable row cache and make sure your db is consistent (via quorum read/writes or write:all, read:1) - sure, why not?  Especially if you're already familiar with Cassandra; possibly even have a deployed instance already for your web app. Adding new components to the mix is always a sure way to get some headscratching going. For a small team who does not want to spend too much time on configuring yet another database, Cassandra would probably work well as a session store. And you would get cross-datacenter reliability too.

However, you might want to use 0.7 and expiring columns; otherwise cleaning up is going to be boring.

/Janne