Not only does the type need to make sense, but it also needs to sort in exactly the same order as the previous type did... in which case there would be no reason to change it?

We should probably just say "no, you cannot do this", and explicitly prevent it.

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 3:14 PM, Jonathan Ellis <jbellis@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Tyler Hobbs <tyler@datastax.com> wrote:
> I think Jonathan mispoke.

I thought I was mistaken, but I was wrong. :)

> You cannot change the 'compare_with' attribute of an existing column
> family.

You can, but it's up to you to make sure that the new type makes
sense.  Most frequently, you see this when changing from BytesType to
something more structured.

(If you screw up and specify a compare_with that is nonsensical for
your data, just change it back.)

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra