Thanks Stephen for the Great Explanation!

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Stephen Connolly <> wrote:
On 2 February 2011 10:03, Ertio Lew <> wrote:
> Can a same key exists for two rows in two different column families without
> clashing ?  Other words, does the same algorithm needs to enforced for
> generating keys for different column families or can different
> algorithms(for generating keys) be enforced on column family basis?
> I have tried out that they can, but I wanted to know if there may be any
> problems associated with this.
> Thanks.
> Ertio Lew

it is a bad analogy for many reasons but if you replace "row key" with
"primary key" and "column family" with "table" then you might get an

a better analogy is to think of the following.

public class Keyspace {

 public final Map<String,Map<String,byte[]>> columnFamily1;

 public final Map<String,Map<String,byte[]>> columnFamily2;

 public final Map<String,Map<String,Map<String,byte[]>>> superColumnFamily3;

(still not quite correct, but mostly so for our purposes);

you are asking given

Keyspace keyspace;
String key1 = makeKeyAlg1();

String key2 = makeKeyAlg2();

when key1.equals(key2)

then is there a problem?

They are two separate maps... why would there be.