From aaron morton <>
Subject Re: node failure, and automatic decommission (or removetoken)
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2011 09:51:48 GMT
AFAIK the general assumption is that you will want to repair the node manually, within the
GCGraceSeconds period. If this cannot be done then nodetool decomission and removetoken are
the recommended approach.

In your example though, with 3 nodes and an RF of 3 your cluster can sustain a single node
failure and continue to operate at CL Quorum for reads and writes. So there is no immediate
need to move data.

Does that help?

On 28 Feb 2011, at 07:41, Mimi Aluminium wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a question about a tool or a wrapper that perform automatic data move upon node
> Assuming I have  3 nodes with a replication factor of 3. In case of one node failure,
does the third replica (that was located before on the failed node ) re-appears on one the
of live nodes?
> I am looking for something that is similar to Hinted Handoff but with with a viable that
can be read.
> I know we can stream manually the data (using nodetool move or decommissions), but is
there something automatic?
> I also found an open ticket 957 but was not sure this is what I am looking for.
> Thanks
> Miriam
> Miriam Allalouf, PhD
> Storage & Network Research