From Janne Jalkanen <Janne.Jalka...@ecyrd.com>
Subject Re: cassandra as session store
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2011 20:48:21 GMT

If your sessions are fairly long-lived (more like hours instead of minutes) and you crank
up a suitable row cache and make sure your db is consistent (via quorum read/writes or write:all,
read:1) - sure, why not?  Especially if you're already familiar with Cassandra; possibly even
have a deployed instance already for your web app. Adding new components to the mix is always
a sure way to get some headscratching going. For a small team who does not want to spend too
much time on configuring yet another database, Cassandra would probably work well as a session
store. And you would get cross-datacenter reliability too.

However, you might want to use 0.7 and expiring columns; otherwise cleaning up is going to
be boring.

/Janne

On Feb 1, 2011, at 22:24 , Sasha Dolgy wrote:

> What I'm still unclear about, and where I think this is suitable, is Cassandra being
used as a data warehouse for current and past sessions tied to a user.  Yes, other things
are great for session management, but I want to provide near real time session information
to my users ... quick and simple and i want to use cassandra ... surely i can't be that bad
for thinking this is a good idea?