From Daniel Doubleday <daniel.double...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Using Cassandra to store files
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2011 17:21:20 GMT
Hundreds of thousands doesn't sound too bad. Good old NFS would do with an ok directory structure.

We are doing this. Our documents are pretty small though (a few kb). We have around 40M right
now with around 300GB total.

Generally the problem is that much data usually means that cassandra becomes io bound during
repairs and compactions even if your hot dataset would fit in the page cache. There are efforts
to overcome this and 0.7 will help with repair problems but for the time being you have to
have quite some headroom in terms of io performance to handle these situations.

Here is a related post:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.cassandra.user/11190

On Feb 3, 2011, at 1:33 PM, Brendan Poole wrote:

> Hi
>
> Would anyone recommend using Cassandra for storing hundreds of thousands of documents
in Word/PDF format? The manual says it can store documents under 64MB with no issue but was
wondering if anyone is using it for this specific perpose.  Would it be efficient/reliable
and is there anything I need to bear in mind?

> Thanks in advance
>

> <Signature.jpg>     Brendan Poole
>      Systems Developer
>       NewLaw Solicitors
>      Helmont House
>      Churchill Way
>      Cardiff
>      brendan.poole@new-law.co.uk
>      029 2078 4283
>      www.new-law.co.uk

> Important - The information contained in this email (and any attached files) is confidential
and may be legally privileged and protected by law.
> The intended recipient is authorised to access it. If you are not the intended recipient,
please notify the sender immediately and delete or destroy all copies. You must not disclose
the contents of this email to anyone. Unauthorised use, dissemination, distribution, publication
or copying of this communication is prohibited.
> NewLaw Solicitors does not accept any liability for any inaccuracies or omissions in
the contents of this email that may have arisen as a result of transmission. This message
and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or defect that might affect any computer
system into which it is received and opened. However, it is the responsibility of the recipient
to ensure that it is virus free; therefore, no responsibility is accepted for any loss or
damage in any way arising from its use.
> NewLaw Solicitors is the trading name of NewLaw Legal Ltd, a limited company registered
in England and Wales with registered number 07200038.
CF10 2HE. Tel: 0845 756 6870, Fax: 0845 756 6871, Email: info@new-law.co.uk. www.new-law.co.uk.
> We use the word ‘partner’ to refer to a shareowner or director of the company, or
an employee or consultant of the company who is a lawyer with equivalent standing and qualifications.
A list of the directors is displayed at the above address, together with a list of those persons
who are designated as partners.