From Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com>
Subject Re: Schema Design Question : Supercolumn family or just a Standard column family with columns containing serialized aggregate data?
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2011 06:36:15 GMT
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Aditya Narayan <adynnn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can I have some more feedback about my schema perhaps somewhat more
> criticisive/harsh ?

It sounds reasonable to me.

Since you're writing/reading all of the subcolumns at the same time, I would
opt for a standard column with the tags serialized into a column value.

I don't think you need to worry about row lengths here.

Depending on the reminder size and how many times it's likely to be repeated
in the timeline, you could explore denormalizing a bit more by storing the
reminders in the timelines themselves, perhaps with a separate row per
(user, tag) combination.  This would cut down on your seeks quite a bit, but
it may not be necessary at this point (or at all).

--
Tyler Hobbs
Software Engineer, DataStax <http://datastax.com/>