From Victor Kabdebon <>
Subject Cassandra memory consumption
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 05:41:06 GMT
Dear all,

Sorry to come back again to this point but I am really worried about
Cassandra memory consumption. I have a single machine that runs one
Cassandra server. There is almost no data on it but I see a crazy memory
consumption and it doesn't care at all about the instructions...
Note that I am not using mmap, but "Standard", I use also JNA (inside lib
folder), i am running on debian 5 64 bits, so a pretty normal configuration.
I also use Cassandra 0.6.8.

Here are the informations I gathered on Cassandra :

105      16765  0.1 34.1 1089424* 687476* ?      Sl   Feb02  14:58
/usr/bin/java -ea* -Xms128M* *-Xmx256M* -XX:+UseParNewGC
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:SurvivorRatio=8
-XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=1 -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=75
-XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError
-Dstorage-config=bin/../conf -Dcassandra-foreground=yes -cp

result of nodetool info :

*Load             : 1,94 MB*
Generation No    : 1296673772
Uptime (seconds) : 467550
*Heap Memory (MB) : 120,26 / 253,94*

I have about 21 column families, none of them have a lot of information ( as
you see I have 2 Mb of text which is really small). Even if I set Xmx at 256
there is 687M of memory used. Where does this memory come from ? Bad garbage
collection ? Something that I ignore ?
Thank you for your help I really need to get rid of that problem.

Best regards,
Victor Kabdebon

View raw message