From Aklin_81 <asdk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Finding the intersection results of column sets of two rows
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2011 05:30:50 GMT
Thanks Aaron & Shaun,

******************************
I think my question might have been unclear to some of you. So I would
again explain my problem(& solution which I thought of) for the sake
of clarity:-

Consider I have 2 rows.  1st row contains 60-70 columns and 2nd row
contains like in hundreds of thousands columns. Both the columns sets
are all valueless. I need to just findout the **common column names**
in the two rows. **These two rows are known to me**. So what I plan to
do is, I just pick up all **columns (names)** of 1st row (60 -70
columns) and just ask for them in 2nd row, whatever column names I get
back is my result.
Would there be any problem with this solution ? This is how I am
expecting to get common column names.

Please do not consider it as a JOIN case as it leads to unnecessary
confusions, I just need common column names from valueless columns in
the two rows.

********************************

Aaron, actually the intersection data is very much context based. So
say if there are 10 million rows in CF A & 1 million in CF B, then
intersection data would be containing 10 million *1 million rows. This
would involve very huge & unaffordable amounts of denormalization.
And finding columns in client would require pulling unnecessary
columns like pulling 100,000 columns from a row of which only 60-70
are required .

Shaun, I hope my above clarification has clarified things a bit. Yes,
the rows, of which I need to find common columns are known to me.

Thank you all,
Asil

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 3:53 AM, Shaun Cutts <shaun@cuttshome.net> wrote:
> In theory, you should be able to do joins by creating an extra column in one column family,
holding the "foreign key" of the matching row in the other family.

> This assumes that the info you are joining on is available in both CFs (is not some sort
of functional transformation).

> I have just found that the implementation for secondary indexes is not yet very close
to optimal for more complex "joins" involving multiple indexes, I'm not sure if that affects
you as you didn't say what you are joining on.