From A J <s5a...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: R and N
Date Fri, 18 Feb 2011 16:28:18 GMT
Couple of more related questions:

5. For reads, does Cassandra first read N nodes or just the R nodes it
selects ? I am thinking unless it reads all the N nodes, how will it
know which node has the latest write.

6. Who decides the timestamp that gets inserted into the timestamp
field of every column. I would guess the coordinator node picks up its
system's timestamp.  If that is true, the clocks on all the nodes
should be synchronized, right ? Otherwise conflict resolution cannot
be done correctly.
For a distributed system, this is not always possible. How do folks
get around this issue ?

Thanks.