From Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com>
Subject Re: Merging the rows of two column families(with similar attributes) into one ??
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2011 05:13:37 GMT
> I read somewhere that more no of column families is not a good idea as
> it consumes more memory and more compactions to occur

This is primarily true, but not in every case.

But the caching requirements may be different as they cater to two
> different features.

This is a great reason to *not* merge them.  Besides the key and row caches,
don't forget about the OS buffer cache.

Is it recommended to merge these two column families into one ?? Thoughts ?

No, this sounds like an anti-pattern to me.  The overhead from having two
separate CFs is not that high.

--
Tyler Hobbs
Software Engineer, DataStax <http://datastax.com/>