From John Lennard <j...@gravitate.co.nz>
Subject Re: cassandra & php
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2011 23:40:54 GMT
Hi,

How does this connection pooling fit in with the  TSocketPool.php classes? Or am I off the
wicket here?

These are just a few of my observations in relation to what i have seen so far when working
with PHP and Cassandra. I have been working with cassandra / php for the last 8 months now
in a project, and while not using phpcassa, it strikes me that the Thrift layer in php may
need some energy directed at it. Reads in particular do seem noticeably slow and i am not
sure if this is tied in with the php socket implementation, how my test cluster is currently
set up or how i am currently working with and structuring my data. I also wonder if there
are other aspects of the thrift layer that could pushed into a native module as there is still
seems to be lots  php code present in the thrift classes.

Another observation I have made during this work is that xdebug has a significant effect on
performance, which can make profiling a little more challenging.

Regards
John

On 18/02/2011, at 10:49 AM, Tyler Hobbs wrote:

> what i'm not entirely happy with in using php versus java/hector is that there isn't
any connection pooling.  maybe that's just me and my poor skills.

in the connection-pooling branch here: https://github.com/thobbs/phpcassa/tree/connection-pooling