From Ivan Georgiev <yngw...@bk.ru>
Subject 0.7.2 slow memtables flushing
Date Sat, 19 Feb 2011 14:16:43 GMT
Hi,

I am testing 0.7.2 on a Windows 2003 x64 system(one node) and I am
having the following problem.
My insertion speed is relatively slow, so the memtables do not get full
and the actual flushing is triggered by memtable_flush_after_mins, this
happens on the hour mark. My problem with 0.7.2 is that when that
happens, the cpu spikes to 25% overall usage (x4 Xeon) and the operation
takes anywhere from 2 to 4 minutes, leaving the node not responding
during that time. This has forced to me to increase the rpc timeout
option to beyond what i feel comfortable with.
I have run multiple tests with 0.7.0 and 0.7.2 with the same dataset and
the results are consistent. During the same operation 0.7.0 takes about
10 seconds to complete vs. 2 to 4 minutes for 0.7.2. I am attaching a
log with the timestamps from one such flushing of 0.7.2. Please let me
know if there is anything i can do to speed up and get results similar
to 0.7.0.

Regards:
Ivan

This is the log of the operations which took most time during the flush
operation. Using 0.7.0, with the same number of operations the flushing
takes less than 10 seconds.

INFO 01:36:44,906 Enqueuing flush of
Memtable-ArchiveFiles.6f776e65724944@1225856921(1619949 bytes, 34467
operations)
INFO 01:37:47,375 Completed flushing
C:\Storage\data\Storage\ArchiveFiles.68617368-f-3-Data.db (5549187 bytes)
INFO 01:37:47,375 Writing
Memtable-ArchiveFiles.6e616d65@978152661(1619949 bytes, 34467 operations)
INFO 01:37:47,375 Enqueuing flush of
Memtable-ArchiveFiles.706172656e74466f6c6465724944@2097700961(1619949
bytes, 34467 operations)
INFO 01:38:51,343 Completed flushing
C:\Storage\data\Storage\ArchiveFiles.6e616d65-f-3-Data.db (3820265 bytes)
INFO 01:38:51,343 Writing