From Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: rolling window of data
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2011 05:20:46 GMT
This project may provide some inspiration for you https://github.com/thobbs/logsandra

Not sure if it has a rolling window, if you find out let me know :)

Aaron

On 03 Feb, 2011,at 06:08 PM, Jeffrey Wang <jwang@palantir.com> wrote:

Hi,

We’re trying to use Cassandra 0.7 to store a rolling window of log data (e.g. last 90 days).
We use the timestamp of the log entries as the column names so we can do time range queries.
Everything seems to be working fine, but it’s not clear if there is an efficient way to
delete data that is more than 90 days old.

Originally I thought that using a slice range on a deletion would do the trick, but that apparently
is not supported yet. Another idea I had was to store the timestamp of the log entry as Cassandra’s
timestamp and pass in artificial timestamps to remove (thrift API), but that seems hacky Does
anyone know if there is a good way to support this kind of rolling window of data efficiently?
Thanks.

-Jeffrey