From Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Calculating the size of rows in KBs
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2011 20:24:32 GMT
If you want to get the byte size of a particular row you will need to read it all back.

If you connect with JConsole at look at you column families, there are attributes for the
max, min and mean row sizes.

In general the entire row only exists in memory when it is contained in the first Memtable
it's written to. It may then be partially or fully read from disk during subsequent reads
or compactions.

On disk format  described here may help http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/ArchitectureSSTable

Hope that helps
Aaron