From buddhasystem <potek...@bnl.gov>
Subject Re: Column name size
Date Fri, 11 Feb 2011 15:22:33 GMT

I've been thinking about this as well. I'm migrating data from a large Oracle
database, and the RDBMS columns names are descriptive (good) and long (bad).
For now I just keep them when populating Cassandra, but I can shave off
about 30% of storage by hashing names. I don't need any automation and can
just maintain a dictionary of serial numbers to strings and vice versa, it's
still under a 100 items. When you start building inverse indexes and other
auxiliary structures, the size effect may be amiplified.