Is there a particular reason why you're not using a high level client?

http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/ClientOptions

Raw thrift is painful in many ways.

- Tyler

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Michael Fortin <mikee@m410.us> wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to insert a super column but I can't get passed this error.

the error:
InvalidRequestException(why:column name must not be empty)
       at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.Cassandra$insert_result.read(Cassandra.java:14408)
       at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.Cassandra$Client.recv_insert(Cassandra.java:828)
       at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.Cassandra$Client.insert(Cassandra.java:800)

Family def:
- {name: Super, column_type: Super, compare_with: TimeUUIDType, compare_subcolumns_with: LongType}

this is the code I'm calling:
client = new Cassandra.Client(protocol, protocol)
client.insert(key, columnParent, c, level)

And the values from the debugger:
key = {java.nio.HeapByteBuffer@3168}  "java.nio.HeapByteBuffer[pos=0 lim=16 cap=16]"
columnParent = {org.apache.cassandra.thrift.ColumnParent@3169}  "ColumnParent(column_family:Super, super_column:00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0C)"
c = {org.apache.cassandra.thrift.Column@3170}  "Column(name:63 6F 6C 75 6D 6E, value:76 61 6C 75 65, timestamp:1291243840220)"

I can insert a standard column without any issues with the same codebase..  What column name must not be empty??  Clearly it's not.  What am I missing?

Thanks
Mike