Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the hint. This is the error that I get:
ERROR [pool-1-thread-1] 2010-12-04 09:38:20,521 Cassandra.java (line 3596) Internal error processing system_update_column_family
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.apache.cassandra.config.CFMetaData.apply(CFMetaData.java:665)
    at org.apache.cassandra.db.migration.UpdateColumnFamily.<init>(UpdateColumnFamily.java:56)
    at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.CassandraServer.system_update_column_family(CassandraServer.java:863)
    at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.Cassandra$Processor$system_update_column_family.process(Cassandra.java:3592)
    at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.Cassandra$Processor.process(Cassandra.java:2555)
    at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.CustomTThreadPoolServer$WorkerProcess.run(CustomTThreadPoolServer.java:167)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)

Could it be because the column was not created when the column family was created?

Thanks again

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 1:08 AM, Jonathan Ellis <jbellis@gmail.com> wrote:
"internal error" means "there's an error in the server log"