From Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: N to N relationships
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2010 20:26:21 GMT
Am assuming you have one matrix and you know the dimensions. Also as you say the most important
queries are to get an entire column or an entire row

I would consider using a standard CF for the Columns and one for the Rows.  The key for each
would be the col / row number, each cassandra column name would be the id of the other dimension
and the value whatever you want.

- when storing the data update both the Column and Row CF
- reading a whole row/col would be simply reading from the appropriate CF.
- reading an intersection is a get_slice to either col or row CF using the column_names field
to identify the other dimension.

You would not need secondary indexes to serve these queries.

Hope that helps.
Aaron