From Arjan van Ham <arjan.van...@bunchball.com>
Subject Dual NIC server problems
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2010 08:36:36 GMT

I have a cluster with three nodes, version 0.7.0 RC2. Each node has dual NIC's, eth0 to the
internet and eth1 to a private network (192.168.1.xxx). The outside NIC  on each node is frewalled
using iptables, only port 22 is allowed through. My cassandra.yaml configuration file refers
only to the internal hostnames that resolve to 192.168.1.xxx addresses.

Most of my Cassandra installation works fine, except for a few nodetool commands. It seems
that they are trying to access the servers over the outside (firewalled) NIC and thus fail.
If I disable the firewall they work fine.

For example:

[cassandra@node11 ~]$ nodetool -h 192.168.1.153 decommission
Error connecting to remote JMX agent!
java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host: 72.52.199.70; nested exception is:

        java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out
        at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPEndpoint.newSocket(TCPEndpoint.java:601)
        at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.createConnection(TCPChannel.java:198)
        at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.newConnection(TCPChannel.java:184)
        at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIServerImpl_Stub.newClient(Unknown Source)
        at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnector.getConnection(RMIConnector.java:2327)
        at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnector.connect(RMIConnector.java:279)
        at javax.management.remote.JMXConnectorFactory.connect(JMXConnectorFactory.java:248)
        at org.apache.cassandra.tools.NodeProbe.connect(NodeProbe.java:115)
        at org.apache.cassandra.tools.NodeProbe.<init>(NodeProbe.java:91)

And if I disable the firewall on the remote node it works right away.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.