From Alberto Velandia <betovelan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Newbie question about connecting to a cassandra server from another server using Fauna
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2010 20:33:36 GMT
Hi I've successfully managed to connect to the server through the cassandra-cli command but
still no luck on doing it from Fauna, I'm running cassandra 0.6.8 and I did the usual require
'cassandra'

I've changed the ThriftAddress on the storage-conf.xml to the IP address of the server itself,
do I need to change anything else?

Thanks once again

On Dec 6, 2010, at 3:15 PM, Aaron Morton wrote:

> You can run the cassandra-cli from any machine. If you run it from the same machine as
your ruby code it's a reliable way to check you can connect to the cluster.

> ok, next set of questions....
>
> - what version of cassandra are you using ? Is it 0.7?
> - what require did you run ? was it require 'cassandra/0.7' ? see the Usage section https://github.com/fauna/cassandra
for details.

>   Cassandra 0.7 defaults to frames transport, 0.6 does not.
>
> Aaron
>
> On 07 Dec, 2010,at 09:07 AM, Alberto Velandia <betovelandia@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've tried the keyspaces() function and got this on return:
>>
>>  compass.keyspaces()
>> CassandraThrift::Cassandra::Client::TransportException: CassandraThrift::Cassandra::Client::TransportException
>> 	from /home/compass/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@rails3/gems/thrift-0.2.0.4/lib/thrift/transport/socket.rb:53:in
`rescue in open'
>> 	from /home/compass/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@rails3/gems/thrift-0.2.0.4/lib/thrift/transport/socket.rb:36:in
`open'
>> 	from /home/compass/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@rails3/gems/thrift-0.2.0.4/lib/thrift/transport/buffered_transport.rb:37:in
`open'
>> 	from /home/compass/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@rails3/gems/thrift_client-0.5.0/lib/thrift_client/connection/socket.rb:11:in
`connect!'
>> 	from /home/compass/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@rails3/gems/thrift_client-0.5.0/lib/thrift_client/abstract_thrift_client.rb:82:in
`connect!'
>> 	from /home/compass/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@rails3/gems/thrift_client-0.5.0/lib/thrift_client/abstract_thrift_client.rb:110:in
`handled_proxy'
>> 	from /home/compass/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@rails3/gems/thrift_client-0.5.0/lib/thrift_client/abstract_thrift_client.rb:57:in
`get_string_property'
>> 	from /home/compass/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@rails3/gems/cassandra-0.8.2/lib/cassandra/cassandra.rb:302:in
`all_nodes'
>> 	from /home/compass/.rvm/gems/ruby-19.2-p0@rails3/gems/cassandra-0.8.2/lib/cassandra/cassandra.rb:285:in
`reconnect!'
>> 	from /home/compass/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@rails3/gems/cassandra-0.8.2/lib/cassandra/cassandra.rb:280:in
`client'
>> 	from /home/compass/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@rails3/gems/cassandra-0.8.2/lib/cassandra/cassandra.rb:86:in
`keyspaces'
>> 	from (irb):4
>> 	from /home/compass/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p0/bin/irb:16:in `<main>'
>>

>> about the cassandra-cli, should I run the command on the server from which I'm trying
to connect?

>> Thanks for the help
>> On Dec 6, 2010, at 2:52 PM, Aaron Morton wrote:
>>
>>> What function are you calling to get data and what is the error ?
>>>
>>> Try calling a function like keyspaces(), it should return a list of the keyspaces
in your cluster  and is a good way to test things are connected.

>>> If there is still no joy check you can connect to your cluster using the cassandra-cli
command line app located in cassandra/bin

>>> Aaron

ideas?? I'm I missing something ?