From Peter Schuller <peter.schul...@infidyne.com>
Subject Re: Quorum and Datacenter loss
Date Sun, 12 Dec 2010 13:04:28 GMT
>> Is my logic wrong here?  Is there a way to ensure the nodes in the
>> alive datacenter respond successfully if the second datacenter is
>> lost?  Anyone have experience with this kind of problem?
>
> It's impossible to achieve the consistency and availability at the
> same time. See:

(Assuming partition tolerance)

Anyways, to expand a bit: The final consequence is that if you have a
cluster that really does need QUORUM consistency, you won't be able to
survive (in terms of availability, i.e., the cluster serving your
traffic) data centers going down. If you want to continue operating in
the case of a partition, you (1) cannot use QUORUM and (2) your
application must be designed to work with and survive seeing
inconsistent data.

--
/ Peter Schuller