From Peter Schuller <peter.schul...@infidyne.com>
Subject Re: atomicity
Date Sun, 19 Dec 2010 13:05:17 GMT
> Say I have two processes on separate machines, and a Cassandra cluster over
> several machines. If the first process writes (insert) to a column while the
> second process reads (get / get_slice / get_range_slices / others?) from that
> column (say the consistency level is QUORUM if that makes a difference), is the
> write "atomic", or could the second process get corrupt (half-written) data?
> What if Cassandra is not a cluster, but runs on a single machine? I'm currently
> using version 0.6.3, but the question is general.

You will never see an "in-between" value of a single column. You'd
either see the old value or the new value.

However, given a batch mutation will multiple changes in it your
readers may see the results of said batch mutation being partially
applied; so there is no snapshot consistency type semantics with
respect to multiple values in a batch mutation.

--
/ Peter Schuller