From Peter Schuller <peter.schul...@infidyne.com>
Subject Re: Quorum and Datacenter loss
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2010 08:05:03 GMT
> It seems to me that with 2 datacenters, if one datacenter is lost,
> the  reads/writes to cassandra  will fail in the surviving datacenter
> because of the N/2 + 1 distribution of replicas.  In other words, you
> need more than half of the replicas to respond but in the case of a
> datacenter loss you would only ever get 1/2 to respond at best.

So just to go back to the original post: My interpretation of this was
that you wanted to survive in *BOTH* data centers, not just a primary
one. If the latter is the case, it is indeed possible as was just
pointed out (assuming no nodes are otherwise down in the primary data
center).

--
/ Peter Schuller