From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: cassandra version update and my cluster
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 10:53:47 GMT
Point releases,7.0 to 7.1, are normally in place upgrades one node at a time. The cluster will
remain online at all times.

AFAIK major version upgrades would normally allow for in place upgrade, supporting a mixed
environment during the change over. If the on disk format changed there may be a migration
process or the node may need to be drained, and then bought back into the cluster.

0.6 to 0.7 did not allow for a mixed environment due to some inter node communication changes.
These were discussed well before even the first beta.

But I'm guessing, who knows that the future will bring. In general though, cassandra is in
use in large production systems and any upgrade plan will take this into consideration.

Aaron

On 2 Dec 2010, at 14:50, Nick Santini wrote:

> Hi,
> this is an hypothetical situation highly likely to happen:
>
> I have a cassandra 0.7 cluster, filled with production data, and I want to upgrade cassandra
to the 0.8 version (and so on as new versions get released)

> what happen with my data and keyspace / column families definitions? whats the process
to upgrade cassandra in a production cluster?