From Timo Nentwig <timo.nent...@toptarif.de>
Subject Re: Quorum: killing 1 out of 3 server kills the cluster (?)
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2010 16:00:46 GMT

On Dec 9, 2010, at 16:50, Daniel Lundin wrote:

> Quorum is really only useful when RF > 2, since the for a quorum to
> succeed RF/2+1 replicas must be available.

2/2+1==2 and I killed 1 of 3, so... don't get it.

> This means for RF = 2, consistency levels QUORUM and ALL yield the same result.
>
> /d
>
> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 4:40 PM, Timo Nentwig <timo.nentwig@toptarif.de> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I've 3 servers running (0.7rc1) with a replication_factor of 2 and use quorum for
writes. But when I shut down one of them UnavailableExceptions are thrown. Why is that? Isn't
that the sense of quorum and a fault-tolerant DB that it continues with the remaining 2 nodes
and redistributes the data to the broken one as soons as its up again?