From Daniel Doubleday <daniel.double...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Virtual IP / hardware load balancing for cassandra nodes
Date Mon, 20 Dec 2010 16:39:12 GMT
You will loose part of the retry / fallback functionality offered by hector.

The job of the client lib is not only load-balancing. I.e. if a node is bootstrapping it will
accept TCP connections but throw an exception which will be communicated via thrift. The client
lib is supposed to handle that.

On Dec 20, 2010, at 3:25 PM, Jonathan Colby wrote:

> I was unable to find example or documentation on my question.  I'd like to know what
the best way to group a cluster of cassandra nodes behind a virtual ip.

> For example, can cassandra nodes be placed behind a Citrix Netscaler hardware load balancer?

> I can't imagine it being a problem, but in doing so would you break any cassandra functionality?
>
> The goal is to have the application talk to a single virtual ip  and be directed to a
random node in the cluster.

> I heard a little about adding the node addresses to Hector's load-balancing mechanism,
but this doesn't seem too robust or easy to maintain.