From Timo Nentwig <timo.nent...@toptarif.de>
Subject Re: Adding secondary index: java.lang.ArithmeticException: / by zero
Date Tue, 28 Dec 2010 10:14:54 GMT

On Dec 27, 2010, at 14:34, Timo Nentwig wrote:

> On Dec 24, 2010, at 14:33, Timo Nentwig wrote:
>> Any advice what to do with it?
>
> So, to continue this monologue: I reduced the memtable size for that CF and the by means
of the MBeans figured out that the secondary index is a CF as well which presumably also holds
up to 3 memtables in memory...that would explain why it runs OOM.

Hm. I was wrong. In order to somehow stop cassandra to continue to build the index I deleted
system CF and reimported the schema with modified memtable flush parameters. But apparently
the information to build the secondary index is stored in the CF's metadata, so shortly after
it starts indexing again and the index shows up in mbeans.

However: data is never flushed and grows endlessly because of (ColumnFamilyStore):

            if (DatabaseDescriptor.getCFMetaData(metadata.cfId) == null)
                return null; // column family was dropped. no point in flushing.

Did I hit some problem here or is the data just messed up (was build with rc1, rc2 and I removed
system CF). Sigh...

> Anyway, I created an issue (affect rc2 beause there's yet no rc3 to select in Jira) for
the crash at startup: CASSANDRA-1904.