From Rajat Chopra <rcho...@makara.com>
Subject RE: Unavailable exception with CL.ANY
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2010 09:08:51 GMT
Okay. Got that. Thanks.
Bringing back just one of the nodes solved it.

What I was keen on knowing was if there exists a way to know which keys reside on which node.
Like a 'nodetool column.path' and it prints the nodelist that the column path resides on :).
I have HH disabled for some other benevolent reason.

Thanks for the help.
Rajat

From: aaron morton [mailto:aaron@thelastpickle.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:46 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Unavailable exception with CL.ANY

First thing you are going to need is some log messages. From the machine the client was connected
to when it returned the UnavailableException.

At CL ANY even Hinted Handoff counts towards meeting the CL for a write http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/HintedHandoff
. So as long as the client can connect to a node in the cluster the write should be accepted.
But there could still be reasons why the HH could not be recorded, the logs should help sort
it out though.

For a read, with RF 2 and 3 nodes down there may be an entire section of the distributed hash
table will be unavailable. So any read for a key that is replicated on 2 of the 3 down nodes
will fail. I would advise getting those nodes up asap.

Keys in all CF's are distributed around the cluster according to the partitioner, replication
strategy and initial tokens. If you are using the Random Partitioner, Simple Replication Strategy
and set evenly spaced initial tokens then keys will be evenly spaced around the cluster.

Hope that helps
Aaron