From Jonathan Colby <jonathan.co...@gmail.com>
Subject Virtual IP / hardware load balancing for cassandra nodes
Date Mon, 20 Dec 2010 14:25:36 GMT
I was unable to find example or documentation on my question.  I'd like to know what the best
way to group a cluster of cassandra nodes behind a virtual ip.

For example, can cassandra nodes be placed behind a Citrix Netscaler hardware load balancer?

I can't imagine it being a problem, but in doing so would you break any cassandra functionality?

The goal is to have the application talk to a single virtual ip  and be directed to a random
node in the cluster.

I heard a little about adding the node addresses to Hector's load-balancing mechanism, but
this doesn't seem too robust or easy to maintain.

Thanks in advance.