From Prasad Sunkari <s.pra...@gmail.com>
Subject Secondary indexes for multi-value fields
Date Wed, 22 Dec 2010 12:54:44 GMT

Hi all,

I have a column family for users of my system and I need to have tags
set to these users.  My current plan is to have a column that holds a
string (comma separated tags).

I am not clear if this the best way to do it.  Specially because this
may lead to a complications when more than one administrator is trying
to tag the same user (lost updates) as well as the secondary indexes (if
I wanted to use the built in secondary indexes).  I also am not sure if
it is possible to have a secondary index on a multi-valued column!

Another alternative is to have it in a super column with each tag being
a column by itself and let my application take care of the secondary

I am currently of the opinion that the second solution is the only thing
that I could do.
Any suggestions?  Since this is my first app on Cassandra I am trying to
see if my opinion is correct.

Thanks,
Prasad