From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Dual NIC server problems
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2010 09:15:30 GMT
The code for nodetool appears to just pass the host value through to the NodeProbe. Was there
anything else in the stack trace ?

If you use the host name of the machine rather than ip what happens?

cassandra-env.sh includes a link to this page about getting JMX running with firewalls
http://blogs.sun.com/jmxetc/entry/troubleshooting_connection_problems_in_jconsole
Perhaps the info on  java.rmi.server.hostname may be helpful

Hope that helps.
Aaron

On 14 Dec 2010, at 21:36, Arjan van Ham wrote:

> I have a cluster with three nodes, version 0.7.0 RC2. Each node has dual NIC's, eth0
to the internet and eth1 to a private network (192.168.1.xxx). The outside NIC  on each node
is frewalled using iptables, only port 22 is allowed through. My cassandra.yaml configuration
file refers only to the internal hostnames that resolve to 192.168.1.xxx addresses.

> Most of my Cassandra installation works fine, except for a few nodetool commands. It
seems that they are trying to access the servers over the outside (firewalled) NIC and thus
fail. If I disable the firewall they work fine.